Why do we display?
Drive interest and inquiry, excitement, wonder, to inform, make pretty, new action, TEACH!!!!
The 10 Commandments of Book Displays
1. Your displays must offer more than the bookstore.
2. Be careful that your displays don't become bookshelf clutter. Create a schedule for changing displays and stick to it.
3. If your display is fulfilling the requirements of district or state initiatives, do not make it your main display. It will be too public for students to want to checkout the materials . i.e. anti-bullying.
4. If you have ESOL and ESE students, then your displays should have materials to meed this need as well.
5. It is okay to have cute displays, holiday display, new book displays. There are our bookstore level displays.
6. Realia make displays more powerful.
7. Always have a digital connection.
8. If you display student art, display "how to: materials with it. Not every art lover has art class.
9. Plan for the need to restock your display. If you only have four books on a topic you want to display, you may need to buy more or supplement with online materials with QR Code signage.
10. Don't assume that a topic not interesting to you won't be interesting to your patrons.
Display to Drive Interest to Sewing in the Makerspace
Sewing machine, materials, how-to guides, sign-up sheet
Begin with quote, materials that address each part of the quote. (Every book or material in the display dealt with learning the skills mentioned in the quote.
How-to books, Tips, Online information, Why gardening information.
(I want to take this to a potting a herb to take home activity.)
If you have a display you would like to share with my readers, please send a picture with your name and library to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for reading!